Welcome to the 2020-21 School Year
MON-THURS: 8:00 First Bell - 2:35 Last Bell – Updated
In previous years in order to accommodate a short day one Monday a month for professional development, our regular school times were increased. This year Heartland will no longer be doing short days on Monday. We are grateful to the community for allowing us to use that valuable time to increase our capacity. This year we will be returning to regular school hours.
FRIDAY: 10:30-1:25 in-person attendance will ONLY be available by invitation from the teacher. All students will have some work this day, but it may be online or paper homework to complete. All teachers will have an online office time to communicate with parents from 10:00-10:30. Teachers will be in collaborative meetings and preparing materials for the rest of the day. Students will have the opportunity to buy breakfast and/or lunch to-go meals from 12:30-1:25 each Friday. If they choose both meals, they will be charged for both meals at their regular rate (free or reduced prices will be applied for those who qualify).
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
Our number one priority as we return to school next week is the safety and wellbeing of each students and staff member at Heartland. Please note several important changes to our school procedures this year to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
- Parents and students will be required to wear face masks while on school property and in the building
- Students should arrive no earlier than 7:30
- Parents are encouraged to send their students with water bottles to reduce the use of drinking fountains
- If students are bringing a home lunch, parents are encouraged to use disposable products
- Some of our grade level door assignments have changed. Look for updated signs and ground markings for lining up before school
- Parents will not be allowed into the building past the main office or foyer area
- Please make sure on Skyward that you have updated all your contact information
- Please complete a student health check each day before sending your student to school. This includes checking for a fever (or warm/red skin). If students are sick, please keep them home. Students who show symptoms at school will be quarantined at school and parents will be called to pick them up
The Heartland Reopening Plan is available at www.heartlandelementary.org.
- Emails for staff members can be found here.
Don't have a computer? No problem! Both Canvas and Google Classroom offer free, easy-to-use smartphone apps.
- Music Starts, Students Line Up Outside - 7:45 a.m.
- Start Time- 8:00 a.m.
- Tardy Bell- 8:05 a.m.
- End Time- 2:35p.m.
- Students will be scheduled by their teachers. All others will be engaged via online or an extension activity.
News and Announcements:
Colder weather is coming. With the weather changes it is important to remember a few safety tips.
- There will be an increase in traffic due to more cars dropping off and picking up children. Please slow down and follow the parking lot signs.
- Please help your children remember to bring a warm coat and shoes appropriate for the weather.
- Watch for the orange flags around the school. The orange flag represents an inside morning. Students are allowed to come in to the school building and line up in the hallway by their teachers door. For more information about cold weather policies, snow days, and inside days Click Here.
Heartland Elementary is hiring for several exciting positions. We are currently looking for the following:
EXCEL Special Education Aides: 17 and 25 Hours
Please contact Principal Alger at email@example.com or 801-565-7533 for additional information. The application can be found at https://skyfin.jordan.k12.ut.us/scripts/wsisa.dll/WService=wsFin/rappljoblst484.w?hqrbgrtid=382125
Going on at Heartland:
After School Activities at Heartland:
- Knitting group
- 6th grade Soccer program
- Choir; Heartland Heartbeats
- Strong Families S.T.E.M, Math, Literacy, and Culture Nights
- After school tutoring
- School Choir
- Heartland Orchestra
- S.T.E.M. assemblies
- S.T.E.M. intensive
- 6th and 3rd grade using VR headsets, robots, drones, coding
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters partnership with Comcast
- Second Step Social Emotional Learning Program
- Art/Music/Computers offered on a weekly basis
- Jr. Coach Program
- School Ambassadors
The Heartland Nine:
During the 20-21 School year, Heartland will focus on nine character traits. Students will be taught the skills during a rotation and will be provided will opportunities to practice each week. The skills include:
- Showing Compassion
- Identifying Feelings
- Calming Down Strong Feelings
- Communicating with Others
- Being a Good Listener
- Solving Problems with Friends
- Playing Fair
- Handling Conflicts
- Having Fun
Please take time and speak with your students about the skills each month. They should be practicing them at school and home.
News for our Heartland Families:
News from Heartland:
- School Starts August 25th for Grade 1-6. Kindergarten testing will occur the week of the 25th to the 31st. First day of school for kindergarten will be September 2nd.
- Breakfast is served from 7:30-7:55 am. The cost is .80 cents, or .30 cents for reduced cost eligible families.
Parents and Guardians, we want to remind each of you of the Student Drop Off/Pick Up locations, please view the map below. It is very important for the safety of each of our students and staff that we all comply with these procedures.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the school.
If you ever have any questions and/or suggestions about our website, please don't hesitate to contact our Heartland School Webpage Master.